Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Erwin

Not exactly the place you expect to stay for four nights. But Erwin, Tennessee is where a lot of people just get stuck. Not that we meant to, it just sort of... happened. We got a ride from Sam's Gap to Uncle Johnny's Hostel in Erwin. The two are about 25 trail miles apart. So the next day we slack packed (carried a day pack much lighter than our normal packs) from Sam's back to Johnny's. And then we stayed. Two more days. It was just hard to leave in the rain. We ate Mexican food three times. We played with the dog that a hiker, Just, found in the woods and adopted. We bought a book for 25 cents from the library. We watched the Nolichucky River rise into a raging brown flood.

And finally the rain stopped and we left. On the way out we stood on the bridge over that flooded river and watched as entire tree trunks and picnic tables floated by. The trails were very wet, and more than once I had to stop and make sure we hadn't turned onto a small stream.

And then we had one of my favorite days on the trail. The hiking was easy enough, I felt stronger than I have in the past, and the surroundings were beautiful. And even though sometimes this journey seems ridiculously difficult, and our feet hurt and the up hills seem so impossibly steep, I always find that I am happy at the end of the day. Proud of myself, proud of Max. Even though we aren't the fastest hikers or doing crazy miles, I know that with patience eventually we will get there. I have seen too many hikers pushing themselves to do more miles than they can physically do, just to end up hurt and going home. The main goal is to avoid that, and to enjoy ourselves. No need to rush.

Sara

P.S. We apologize for not posting as religiously as we have been before. At the end of the day we're tired, or lazy, but we'll try to pick it up again.



















3 comments:

  1. Just caught up with your last week's adventures (been doing a lot of traveling myself, but nothing as difficult or beautiful as you two are doing)

    I love reading your posts so keep them coming, especially your adventures in the towns and hostels...

    You're absolutely right, Sarah - there's no rush. Those who do end up cheating themselves of completing the entire trail.

    You do not have to do it in 6 months - some people take up to a year. We're supposed to have a mild winter and by the time autumn rolls around, you'll be in familial area so we can outfit you with appropriate fall gear.

    Keep up the good pace, keep saving butterflies and try not to fall too much!

    BTW - I saw Rocky the other day and he's fine. I mentioned both your names to him and his ears perked up and he got excited. I told Isobel to show him the blog....lol. He's fine, healthy and well but you can easily tell he misses you both.

    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sara and Max, Also glad to be catching up with what's been happening on your trip. You know how much I love talking to you Sara, though I have to say that reading the blog and seeing your great photos really brings this trip to life for all of us back home. I can't tell you how many people think what your doing is amazing and that they wished they had done something like this when they were your age. You both have the right perspective about taking your time and building up your pace when you are ready. I was sorry to read about your fall, be careful my girl. There must have been a ton of rain, the river was so high, wow. Pics are great, so beautiful. Looking forward to seeing you in less than two weeks, let me know if you guys want me to bring anything special. Call me from the next town.. And as always take care of each other and be safe.xoxoxo love, mom and dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sara and Max, Glad you were able to find the time to post again. Sean keeps asking me where you are and now I can tell him Tennessee. You should not worry about how fast you are traveling only how safely. You have plenty of time. The trail isn't going anywhere. I know your parents can't wait to see you. Take care and keep taking those great pictures. Love, Aunt Carole:)

    ReplyDelete